Bilingual Target Language Proficiency Test #190
What is the BTLPT?
This exam is designed to measure your Spanish proficiency in an academic and professional register. You must demonstrate a strong mastery of bilingual pedagogy (teaching theory and practices) and the ability to read, listen to, and understand complex texts. You will also be asked to show your communication skills in school-setting scenarios, such as speaking with parents, colleagues, or administrators.
The test takes about 4 hours and is divided into 4 parts: Listening Comprehension, Oral Expression, Reading Comprehension, and Written Expression.
View and download my handy cheat sheet below!
How is the test scored?
You need to know how the scorers will decide how many points your oral and written responses receive. They will evaluate your answers to these tasks based on the rubrics below and give it a score of 0, 1, 2, or 3. In order to pass, you should learn the criteria to receive a 2 or 3, so you will see only those categories below.
To view the full rubrics that include scores of 0 and 1, refer to the BTLPT prep manual. (Click here: Manual PDF)
Print these rubrics, highlight keywords, and evaluate your practice answers against these bullet points. Work to improve the areas where you notice you consistently have trouble. If you need more help interpreting the rubric or want feedback on your responses, come to a Weekend Workshop!
Email and Essay Rubric
Question and Answer and Oral Presentation Rubric
Lesson Plan Rubric
Simulated Conversation Rubric
|Exam Dates||Score Report Date|
|7/12/2021 - 7/25/2021||8/6/2021|
|8/9/2021 - 8/22/2021||9/3/2021|
|9/6/20221 - 9/19/2021||10/1/2021|
|10/4/2021 - 10/17/2021||10/29/2021|
|11/1/2021 - 11/14/2021||11/30/2021|
|11/29/2021 - 12/12/2021||12/28/2021|
|12/27/2021 - 1/9/2022||1/21/2022|
|1/24/2022 - 2/6/2022||2/18/2022|
|2/21/2022 - 3/6/2022||3/18/2022|
|3/21/2022 - 4/3/2022||4/15/2022|
|4/18/2022 - 5/1/2022||5/13/2022|
|5/16/2022 - 5/29/2022||6/10/2022|
|6/13/2022 - 6/26/2022||7/8/2022|
|7/11/2022 - 7/24/2022||8/5/2022|
|8/8/2022 - 8/21/2022||9/2/2022|
BTLPT Event Calendar
If you’re looking for a one-stop study solution, you’re in the right place. In this comprehensive workshop, we will break down each section of the BTLPT exam in detail, learn what and how to study, and practice each section.
Day 1 is on Saturday, 2 pm to 4 pm CST, and covers the Listening Comprehension and Oral Expression sections. Day 2 is on Sunday, 2 pm to 4 pm CST, and covers the Reading Comprehension and Written Expression sections.
Along with a small group of teachers, you’ll participate in practice activities, ask questions and get feedback.
Registration includes a recording of both days of the workshop, access to my Quizlet academic vocabulary collection, and a bonus study resources pack!
Sign up and join my growing list of bilingual teacher success stories!
|August 14/15||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM CST|
|September 11/12||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM CST|
|October 9/10||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM CST|
|November 6/7||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM CST|
|January 15/16||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM CST|
|February 12/13||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM CST|
|March 12/13||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM CST|
|April 9/10||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM CST|
|May 7/8||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM CST|
|June 4/5||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM CST|
Ready to practice what you’ve been studying? I’ve created original, simulated test items just like the real thing to give you a chance to practice and get feedback!
We’ll spend an intense hour together, speaking, listening, reading, and writing at a high level of professional, academic Spanish.
Don’t worry, I’ll help you feel confident and comfortable while we refine the strategies you’ll need to succeed on the BTLPT.
You can trust me – this is always an enjoyable and productive hour of high-quality practice and you’ll leave feeling happy that you came and better prepared for your test.
Looking for help with the lesson plan?
Sundays, study sessions focus on how to write a solid, effective lesson plan in just 15 minutes.
|August||8th August/04:00-05:00 PM (CST)||10th August/07:00-08:00 PM (CST)|
|September||5th September/04:00-05:00 PM (CST)||7th September/07:00-08:00 PM (CST)|
|October||3rd October/04:00-05:00 PM (CST)||5th October/07:00-08:00 PM (CST)|
|November||2nd November/07:00-08:00 PM (CST)||4th November/07:00-08:00 PM (CST)|
|November||28th November/04:00-05:00 PM (CST)||30th November/07:00-08:00 PM (CST)|
|January||23rd January/04:00-05:00 PM (CST)||25th January/07:00-08:00 PM (CST)|
|February||20th February/04:00-05:00 PM (CST)||22nd February/07:00-08:00 PM (CST)|
|March||20th March/04:00-05:00 PM (CST)||22nd March/07:00-08:00 PM (CST)|
|April||17th April/04:00-05:00 PM (CST)||19th April/07:00-08:00 PM (CST)|
|May||15th May/04:00-05:00 PM (CST)||17th May/07:00-08:00 PM (CST)|
Join us on FlipGrid
Flipgrid is a free, online, audio and video discussion tool that lets you record your responses to posted questions, comment on the responses of others, and receive feedback on your response.
Our Flipgrid contains practice oral expression tasks and academic discussions for practice speaking Spanish in a professional register and educational context.
Join with a gmail, yahoo or hotmail email address or join as a guest using this code: Iwillpass
Practice your Reading Comprehension here
- https://elpais.com/ – Choose from science, culture, or education and learn many new words!
- http://elmundo.com/ – This is another great news site with articles in science, culture, and education.
- AP Spanish Reading Comprehension Practice Questions – The AP Spanish test is designed by the same company as the BTLPT and there are many similarities between the two tests.
- Released STAAR Reading Comprehension Practice Questions – While the level of rigor isn’t as high, released STAAR tests will give you excellent practice reading a text and answering questions.
- https://www.colorincolorado.org/es – This website has lots of information in Spanish for bilingual educators.
Improve your Listening Comprehension here
- https://www.spanishpodcasts.net/ – This comprehensive list of podcasts will give you plenty of choices! For the best practice, choose topics in science, art/culture, education, or folklore.
- http://www.spanishlistening.org/content/topic.php?topic=cultures&level=highadvanced – This resource will help you practice listening to a variety of accents, recording quality, and background noise. Choose intermediate or advanced levels and select “all topics”.
- https://www.speakinglatino.com/spanish-listening-comprehension-resources/ – This is a collection of 11 different sites for practice, some free and some paid.
- https://radioambulante.org/ – This is a high-quality podcast on a variety of topics.
- https://cienciaes.com/ciertaciencia/ – This is a podcast that focuses on scientific developments.
- https://www.ted.com/playlists/518/ted_talks_en_espa%C3%B1ol – These are engaging talks on a variety of topics at a high level of fluency and academic vocabulary.