Bilingual Target Language Proficiency Test #190
What is the BTLPT?
This exam is designed to measure your Spanish proficiency in an academic and professional register. You must demonstrate a strong mastery of bilingual pedagogy (teaching theory and practices) and the ability to read, listen to, and understand complex texts. You will also be asked to show your communication skills in school-setting scenarios, such as speaking with parents, colleagues, or administrators.
The test takes about 4 hours and is divided into 4 parts: Listening Comprehension, Oral Expression, Reading Comprehension, and Written Expression.
How is the test scored?
You need to know how the scorers will decide how many points your oral and written responses receive. They will evaluate your answers to these tasks based on the rubrics below and give it a score of 0, 1, 2, or 3. In order to pass, you should learn the criteria to receive a 2 or 3, so you will see only those categories below.
To view the full rubrics that include scores of 0 and 1, refer to the BTLPT prep manual. (Click here: Manual PDF)
Print these rubrics, highlight keywords, and evaluate your practice answers against these bullet points. Work to improve the areas where you notice you consistently have trouble.
If you need more help interpreting the rubric or want feedback on your responses, check out the BTLPT Ultimate Study Plan!
Ultimate Study Plan Cohort members are invited to weekly classes to practice live and get feedback on responses to simulated test questions.
Email and Essay Rubric
Question and Answer and Oral Presentation Rubric
Lesson Plan Rubric
Simulated Conversation Rubric
When will I get my score report?
|Exam Dates||Score Report Date|
|8/8/2022 - 8/21/2022||9/9/2022|
|9/5/2022 - 9/18/2022||9/30/2022|
|10/3/2022 - 10/16/2022||10/28/2022|
|10/31/2022 - 11/13/2022||11/29/2022|
|11/28/2022 - 12/11/2022||12/23/2022|
|3/20/2023 - 4/2/2023||4/14/2023|
|4/17/2023 - 4/30/2023||5/12/2023|
|5/15/2023 - 5/28/2023||6/9/2023|
|6/12/2023 - 6/25/2023||7/7/2023|
|7/10/2023 - 7/23/2023||8/4/2023|
|8/7/2023 - 8/20/2023||9/1/2023|
So where do we start?
More Ways to Practice
Join us on FlipGrid
Flipgrid is a free, online, audio and video discussion tool that lets you record your responses to posted questions, comment on the responses of others, and receive feedback on your response.
Our Flipgrid contains practice oral expression tasks and academic discussions for practice speaking Spanish in a professional register and educational context.
Join with a gmail, yahoo or hotmail email address or join as a guest using this code: Iwillpass
Practice your Reading Comprehension here
- https://elpais.com/ – Choose from science, culture, or education and learn many new words!
- http://elmundo.com/ – This is another great news site with articles in science, culture, and education.
- AP Spanish Reading Comprehension Practice Questions – The AP Spanish test is designed by the same company as the BTLPT and there are many similarities between the two tests.
- Released STAAR Reading Comprehension Practice Questions – While the level of rigor isn’t as high, released STAAR tests will give you excellent practice reading a text and answering questions.
- https://www.colorincolorado.org/es – This website has lots of information in Spanish for bilingual educators.
Improve your Listening Comprehension here
- https://www.spanishpodcasts.net/ – This comprehensive list of podcasts will give you plenty of choices! For the best practice, choose topics in science, art/culture, education, or folklore.
- http://www.spanishlistening.org/content/topic.php?topic=cultures&level=highadvanced – This resource will help you practice listening to a variety of accents, recording quality, and background noise. Choose intermediate or advanced levels and select “all topics”.
- https://www.speakinglatino.com/spanish-listening-comprehension-resources/ – This is a collection of 11 different sites for practice, some free and some paid.
- https://radioambulante.org/ – This is a high-quality podcast on a variety of topics.
- https://cienciaes.com/ciertaciencia/ – This is a podcast that focuses on scientific developments.
- https://www.ted.com/playlists/518/ted_talks_en_espa%C3%B1ol – These are engaging talks on a variety of topics at a high level of fluency and academic vocabulary.